Becoming

“The gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something.”
Lately I have been thinking about fears, because I am afraid that through the series of my personal existence I didn’t love deeply and truly frequently enough, that I let myself be led by anger and hatred too often, that I dwelt on negativity too much, that I lost my love of learning, that I wasted time on frivolous things, or that I left too many offenses unresolved, that I found myself held down by stress and strain repeatedly, and that I let my pride outweigh logic? I am afraid that the person I was in the past hasn’t been improved upon, that I haven’t become a better person.
            But wanna know what is great? It’s that through the atonement of our Lord and Savior, I am able to become a better person; one who is happier, more faithful, nicer, humbler, more fulfilled, more converted, stronger, and more accepting, patient, and loving. More of the person that God desires me to be. Basically, my religion would profit me nothing if I didn’t put in any effort, but through continued obedience and work I am able to improve, and become something better. It’s all about progress.
            If the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints allows me to become an improved and happier person, then I’m all for it. And for that I am so very grateful.
            “We do not obtain our heavenly reward by punching a time clock. What is essential is that our labors in the workplace of the Lord have caused us to become something. What is important in the end is what we have become by our labors.”

-Dallin H. Oaks
(Also, the photo obviously has nothing to do with my random thoughts, but. I mean, it's a cow, so it's fine)

Comments

Popular Posts