Beach Thoughts

Beach! Beach! Beach!

Everyone says that when they stand on the beach for the first time, staring into the vastness of water spreading out farther than the eye can see, that they realize how small they really are compared to the world. Although I felt the same way a little, for me I mostly realized how nature always goes on; how nature fixes itself.
I stood at the edge of the water, just close enough that the water would only hit my feet when a wave came in. I just stared at the line where the blue of the ocean met the blue of the sky. After standing and staring for a few minutes I noticed that my feet had formed a hole in the sand. Each time a wave hit, it would take away part of the sand I was standing on, forcing my feet lower into the sand that remained. Once I moved I watched the spot where my feet had previously been. Within a few waves, the spot had been smoothed back out and there was no sign left where my feet had been.
And although this might be a far-fetched comparison, I just thought about how nature will fix itself. And so should we. The same waves that initially caused the hole ultimately helped heal the blemish on the beach. We also have the ability to heal ourselves. We have the ability to use our struggles to fix ourselves. We have the ability to grow from our struggles. Because, just like nature or the waves on the beach, we aren’t stagnant. 
We can grow. 
We can change. 
We can progress. 
And we can enjoy it.
So onward to my beach adventure. This was my first time on the beach. Rebekah and I were practically bounding down the stairs in excitement. I remember her saying “I can hear it!” and within seconds we broke the cover of the trees and there it was. The endless blue ocean.
Honestly though, at first the beach wasn’t my favorite thing. It was hot and humid, everything tasted like salt, the water stung my eyes, I got burned, and my hair basically became sticky hard curls. But after the second time on the beach, I think I liked it more. And the last time we went on this vacation was quite enjoyable.
Overall:
The beach is cool.
I’m still not tan.
Frisbee on the beach is one of the greatest things ever!
(Just me running away from life's problems with a Frisbee in hand)

Comments

Popular Posts