A Pep Talk

A big shout out to my Rexburg running friends who have conquered the temple hill. And an even bigger shout out to my Rexburg running friends that have conquered Pole Line hill.
            Yesterday I had the opportunity to run both of these hills, but they were very different experiences. The warmer weather has got me pumped on running, and although I haven’t ran since I rolled my ankle three weeks ago, I started out of my apartment door with running vigor. I planned on going for a short afternoon run, but once I got out I felt so free and energized that I kept adding miles onto the run.
            I can probably run a solid two miles.
            Oh, but if I just run to the McDonalds and back I’ll do about three miles and I can probably do that.
            Or I could run back around the city on the way back, it will only be like four miles and that doesn’t sound too bad.
            But…
            And then I turned left and ran out to pole line hill, bringing my run closer to 4 and a half miles with a nasty hill. I told myself that as long as I made it up the hills I would consider it a success, but after the first hill I told myself that I wasn’t going to walk at all. I was going to run up and down all the hills until I made it back to my apartment. I had a personal pep talk on repeat in my mind all the way up the second part of the hill. And somehow, I made it up the hill still going at a decent pace. Then I made it through a neighborhood until I got to the temple, and that’s when I took my downhill.
            On the way down, I had many runners coming the opposite way up the hill. I contemplated what they thought of me. My course at the moment obviously looked much easier than theirs, but little did they know that I had just ran a hill twice as long and steeper than theirs. But I rehearsed a small part of my pep talk to them as we passed.
            Good job. You’ve got this. You’re killing the hill. Keep going!
            Because I personally believe that a small pep talk can do a lot. And lately I have had two very different types of pep talks.
            One is in my academics. It’s from a friend. He will give me a pep talk by saying “Don’t make any more mistakes, okay? Don’t pull a “Kyanna” again like last time. No wonder I have a better grade than you.” And although this does influence and encourage me to do better, it also makes me feel like I can’t do it. It makes me feel like I couldn’t do hard things in the past, that I can only make mistakes now, and I have little chance of being any better in the future.
            The other pep talk occurs poolside with the cutest swimmer I know. Getting in the pool and trying to swim laps was hard and nerve-racking for me. Just putting on the goggles made me want to go to the locker room and change into workout clothes so I could go for a run instead. But as I stood breathing heavy after the swim,  I wasn't getting lost in my friend's smile, (like I normally would)I was getting lost in his words of encouragement. “There is a lot that we can improve on, but I already see improvement just from tonight. You’re doing just fine. That was better than I expected.” The best personal pep talk I had received in a long time.
            And just like Jake’s pep talk for me was individual and motivational, I’ve realized that the gospel is a personalized pep talk for each of us. The gospel of Jesus Christ influences, uplifts, and inspires. It encourages me to be better, it encourages me to keep going on because I know that there is a loving God in heaven who is directing me. There is a God in heaven that knows I have done hard things, and that I can do hard things, and that through Him and His love I will continue to be able to do hard things. Life is hard. It sucks. I stumble and fall a lot more often than I am usually willing to admit. Sometimes I don’t want to go on, sometimes I don’t see a point in going on because it seems like there can be no joy, no happiness, no hope, no improvement, and no end to the struggles and trials. But my God steps in and tells me: “You can feel joy. You are right where you need to be. Keep going, keep improving. You are getting credit for the effort you put forth. I know exactly what hill you are on. We are on your side and we are not only rooting for you, but we are helping you. You are not alone. You can conquer. You will do it. You are enough. You are mine.”

And God is telling you the same thing.

Comments

Popular Posts