The Day I gave My Best Friend Away

            I remember checking my phone after my group meeting as I headed up the stairs to do more homework. I had a missed call and a message from my best friend “Give me a call me when you can.” I call the number and listen until someone answers. It’s not my friend but her finance. He sounds tired and sad. I instantly know something is wrong as Tyler tells me that things are going to be fine. “Lori’s been in an accident. She’s in surgery now.” I listen in shock as he explains what happened. I can only imagine how hard it must be for him as I fight tears myself. I beeline for the bathroom and luckily it is empty. I pace back and forth and push the tears down as Tyler finishes talking and tells me I can come visit whenever.   
            Now, let me tell you a little about my girl Loriann. To be honest, I know that we haven’t been friends for very long, but it seems like we have. I felt an immediate urge to love her and support her and she must have felt the same because she hasn’t left my side a moment since. She’s my fan club of one, she’s my support squad, and I know that she will always be there for me. Even though she sometimes disapproves of my dating life or my attitude towards issues, I know that she’ll never be too mad at me and will consistently make time to be with me and hear about my life. She inspires me and accepts me and I hope to be the same type of friend that she has been to me.
            So, the next day as I delay my responsibilities on campus and with classmates and drive to the hospital to see my best friend, I can’t help but feel extremely thankful that she is alive and doing well. Hospitals have always made me a little nervous, but I make it to the room. She’s lying in the hospital bed and it breaks my heart a little. Tyler jumps up and offers me his chair. I sit down and grab her hand and we all just sit in silence for a few seconds. Then I get a more detailed explanation of everything. I only stay about an hour and a half because I know that I have homework I need to complete before the end of the day.
            Walking out of the hospital I think about Loriann, who just a week ago made me cry because I realized she was getting married; Loriann, who has always been there for me; Loriann, who I don’t know if I can take care of the way she needs. And then there is Tyler, who I’ve always known is a great guy, but who I saw so much more in that day.
            Because I saw him calling the nurse if Loriann needed anything. I saw him straining to see what she was writing. I saw him washing cups, and cleaning off tables and handing her anything she needed. I saw him holding her hand and not leaving her side and making sure she was comfortable. I saw him ache inside because the girl he loved was in so much pain.
            I decided, as I went down the hospital elevator, that I could give my best friend away. I knew that Tyler would take better care of her than I ever could. So, although Loriann is still one of my best friends and I am forever blessed to have her in my life, I feel comfortable giving her away.

You have my blessing, Tyler.

Comments

Popular Posts