Real Moments: Embarrassment

Real people experience real moments. Yeah, real people experience those picture-perfect moments that you see plastered all over your social media, but first and foremost, they experience real moments.
Real moments with real emotions that can’t always be explained. Real moments with other real people. Real moments with less than perfect circumstances. Real moments like fighting with the person you love the most, or thinking the most depressing thoughts, or doing something that you know you’ll regret.
            So, I’m sharing my real moments, because maybe it will help you realize that everyone has them and people are more similar than we like to think most of the time. So as much as I hope you don’t relate to any of these, I also really hope you do.
Being embarrassed:
            Okay, so I always thought “I’m so comfortable with myself, that I don’t get embarrassed. This is just who I am.” But then this moment happened:
            When we were dating, Jake got really sick one weekend. Like throwing up multiple times an hour sick. Like diarrhea sick. Like he slept all day, and was supposed to bring me to a race in Challis, but was too sick to even get off of the couch except to use the bathroom, sick.
            Basically, I had to find another ride to Challis ASAP, or I had to bail on one of my best friends who has already driven three hours and set up a tent for me. And I couldn’t bail, because I had convinced this friend to run 15.5 miles up a mountain with me. You don’t bail on that.
            Fast forward a few hours and my friends gladly drive me to Challis, and at last I’m ready to get a good night’s rest before a long run. But there were other plans for the night… Because I told you that Jake was sick, right? And obviously we spent time together, right? And if you’re now thinking “you got sick, didn’t you Kyanna” you would be right.
            But mind you, while Jake had been vomiting a lot, my body reacted to the sickness through the other end… yup, diarrhea.
            Now, this is a too-much-information paragraph that you can gladly skip. I have NEVER, never in my 20 years of life, had diarrhea that was so bad! There was no controlling it. None. No possible way. Any innocent wrong move would send me to the bathroom. Not fun! Not good! But still had that race to run…
            It’s not hard to imagine what happened next. We woke up for the race, and man, was my stomach in a knot! But, because I’m a stubborn little turd (pun intended) I figured I could still run the race and I would be fine. However, it’s not science to realize that a lot of movement sure helps those poops out in a hurry. Obviously 15 miles of running was going to be no big deal…
            Now ya’ll are like “C’mon, just tell us how far you made it into the race before, ya know, it happened!”
            The funny (?) thing is that although I ran that race and finished, “it” happened before we even started. That’s right, one wrong movement, one wrong stretch, as we were standing on the start line did it for me… (I want to let you know that there was absolutely no stopping it). But obviously I couldn’t bail.
            The awkward embarrassing moment occurs not when I, a 21 year old grown adult poops myself, but when I have to tell my friend, basically my brother, what has happened and then run by his side for the next 3 hours being sick… try telling your childhood friend, middle school crush, and brother-from-another-mother, if you will, that you have pooped your pants. Not fun. Quite embarrassing actually. Then of course your mother, and boyfriend, and best friend, and every other freaking person in the universe want to know how that race specifically went. Embarrassing.
            So that was a real moment. A real moment when a grown adult didn’t act like a grown adult. An embarrassing moment that I thought I would never tell to the world. But, the cool thing is, everyone has these types of stories. I don’t get why we are trying to cover them up and pretend they don’t happen. Because they do. I’m sure you know that.
Don't let my smile fool you

Comments

Popular Posts