Advice to My Sister: Becoming Flawless

 If y’all will bear with me for a few more weeks, I will post less of my random thoughts and more of my adventures. So, here is my advice to my little sister, but mostly its advice for her, and me, and hopefully you.
 Becoming Flawless
Advice to My Sister (and everybody else too)
Hey, I’m going to tell you about my flaws:
My name is Kyanna Jacobson and I have flaws; I have lots of them. I have a head of unruly frizzy blonde curls that I can’t seem to grow out much past my shoulders. My right eyebrow isn’t as full as the left one. I wear this pair of chunky black glasses that were actually designed for old ladies. I break out with little white heads on my hair line and my nose. I have a line of freckles on my upper lip that become visible in the summer. My lips are too big. I have random hiccups that rock my whole body. I have a crooked tooth. I have a weak bladder. My skin is pale.

The other day I listened as someone tried to remember the name of a girl they had recently met. They ended up asking “Was the name of the girl with the big nose Amanda?” It made me wonder how many times have I been called the girl with the big lips? The girl with the crazy curls? The girl with the freckle mustache? Or even the girl with the messed up teeth?
Now, I’m going to tell you a secret: everyone has flaws.
Cool, you already knew that.
So another secret: You are not defined by your flaws.
And no one else should be either.
So, my advice to you is to look past the flaws. Look past the big nose and see the beautiful smile in that girl. Look past the messy hair, the white skin, and the large ears. Those things shouldn’t define that person. Instead I want you to see their personalities, their strengths, and their beauty.
But mostly, I want you to look past your own flaws. When you look in the mirror, I don’t want you to see those flaws. I want you to see the girl I see when I look at you. I want you to see that girl that is confident in who she is, the girl who doesn’t give up, the girl that finishes. I want you to see the girl with the beautiful smile that lights up a room, the girl whose eyes shimmer with determination and confidence, the girl that doesn’t judge others based upon their flaws.
Go be that girl.

Comments

Popular Posts