A Self-Potrait

          A lot of artist do renditions of themselves in what they call a self-portrait, and although, I hardly consider myself an artist, I thought it would be fun to try one. The main thing I wanted to accomplish with this painting was for it to capture me. Who I think I am, at least most of the time.
            So, this painting is more than just my curly hair or my squinty smiling eyes. It more than me trying to get the brush to make strokes that resembled hair, or doing black and white because it was easier than mixing all the different colors, or figure out a way to not have to put a lot of detail into the eyes, because I can’t. This painting was about my heart.
            My heart that is full of good intentions, love, acceptance, and understanding. My heart which inspires me to help others, and to interact and connect with them. My heart which tries to fuel my words, thoughts, and actions, but that seems to fade dark before those actually develop more.
            Because I’ve heard people complain about how they think I am a jerk, because I seem more awkward than I am sincere, and because I can’t express my true feelings very well.
            That is why this painting describes me. It’s not about the curls in my hair, but about the passion and love in my heart that doesn’t seem to make it much farther than that.

Comments

Popular Posts